Time Began in a Garden
This weekend I spent the whole day weeding and preparing my yard for mulch. It brought to my mind time we spend in our lives. Time began in a garden, not the “tick tocking” get it done time, not stuffed crammed kind of time – sorry I’m late time, I got stuck on the freeway form of measurement. It’s purposeful hours – a time for recreation, for dreaming; a time for growing, for sharing. The kind of time I would like to reflect on is: what are we sowing for worthwhile work? Time: a resource for creating the beautiful and growing the soul – purposeful hours, planting the seeds in our spiritual lives and others.
We can start this spring off right by sowing need seeds in our spiritual life and the lives of others. Here are just a few you can think about:
1. SEEDS OF KINDNESS.… Psalm 36:7: “How excellent is thy loving-kindness O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of your wing.” Ps. 63:3: “Because thy loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
2. SEEDS OF NEW FRIENDSHIPS.… Proverbs 18:24: “A man who has friends must show himself friendly; and their is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” John 15:13: “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
3. SEEDS OF JOY.… Psalm 16:11: “Thou wilt show me the path of life, in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” Ps. 126:5: “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.” Going out spreading that seed of who Jesus is, brings great joy.
4. SEEDS OF FORGIVENESS.… Col. 1:14: “In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.” Col. 3:12-14: “Put on therefore as the elect of God, holy beloved, tender mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long-suffering, forebearing one another and forgiving other, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do you, and above all these things put on love the bond of perfectness.
5. SEEDS OF HOPE.… Psalm 39:7: “And now, Lord what wait I for? My hope is in thee.” Col. 1:27 “To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles which is Christ in you the hope of glory.”
6. SEEDS OF HELPFULNESS.… Isaiah 41:6: “They helped every one his neighbor and every one said to his brother, be of good courage ” Psalm 124;8: “Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”
7. SEEDS OF THE GOSPEL.… Matthew 24:14: “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations and then shall the end come.”
8. SEEDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT.… 1 Thes. 5:14: “Now exhort you brethren, warn them that are unruly, encourage the fainthearted, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
9. SEEDS OF EXAMPLE.… 1 Cor. 10:11: “Now all these things happened unto them for examples and they are written for our admonition upon whom the end of the ages are come.” (All the things that happened in the wilderness were examples to God’s people. What happens in your life can be used to be an example of God’s mercies.) 1 Tim. 4:12: “Let no man despise your youth, but be an example of the believers in Word, in Conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” John 13:15,17: “For I have given you an example that you should do as I have done to you. Verily, Verily I say unto to you, the servant is not greater then his Lord, neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If you know these things happy are you if you do them.” (Jesus was talking to his disciples while washing their feet!)
So fill your pots with spiritual packets above for worthwhile work, creating the spirit of Godliness. Growing in Godliness is a lifelong process. God wants us to be a container full of His love and mercy. “If a man, therefore, purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel (a container) unto honor, sanctified and fit for the master’s use, prepared unto every good work.” – 2 Tim. 2:21
May the Lord help us to be containers worthy to be used for his glory..
Weed out the old… sow new beginnings… Spring gardens… A time to sow and a time to reap… Let’s reap a harvest of love in the seeds we sow together!